Posted 1 year ago

City Showcase is a not-for-profit year-round festival of new music, responsible for breaking some of the best names into the industry since 2003.

We provide a year-round platform for new artists, identifying and developing them through a unique combination of showcasing opportunities, industry networking sessions and masterclasses in the UK and beyond – all free from commercial sector constraints.

These are some of the 3000 images I took of various bands and locations in October 2012 

Some of the artists who got their break at City Showcase gigs include Amy Winehouse, Gabriella Cilmi, Keane, Newton Faulkner, Ray LaMontagne, Razorlight, Scouting for Girls and Seth Lakeman. 

Posted 1 year ago

The photograph isn’t what was photographed.
It’s something else. It’s a new fact.
Garry Winogrand


Documentary: That’s a sophisticated and misleading word,
and not really clear. The term should be documentary style.
You see, a document has use, whereas art is really useless.
Walker Evans


When I lie, I am closer to the truth than documentary photography.
Tono Stano


Photography for me is not looking, it’s feeling.
Don McCullin


A documentary photograph is not a factual photograph per se. It’s a photograph which carries the full meaning of the episode.
Dorothea Lange

Documentary carries (old) information about a group of powerless people to another group addressed as socially powerful.
Martha Rosler

Above all, I know that life for a photographer cannot be a matter of indifference.
Robert Frankz

To me, photography is an art of observation. It’s about finding something interesting in an ordinary place…. I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.
Elliott Erwitt

Documentary Photography Quotes, a small selection
Posted 1 year ago

The Japanese in Tokyo

Posted 1 year ago

Pinhole Portraits

Posted 1 year ago
Posted 1 year ago

Portrait of an Artist

Posted 1 year ago

Prosopagnosia is also known as “Face blindness”. The human ability to recognise faces is distributed on a normal Gaussian or Bell curve. This means that 50% of the population have a better than average ability to recognise faces out of context to the top 1-2% who are super recognisers and can recognise a face many years later in completely different contextual surroundings. However 50% of the population have a worse than average ability to recognise faces to the “bottom” 1-2% who may not even be able to recognise their own face in a mirror. About 80% of people with severe Prosopagnosia inherit the inability to recognise faces while the remaining 20% acquire it through brain trauma of one sort or another. It appears to be essentially linked to a disorder in the function of a part of the brain called the Cingulate Gyrus, intimately associated with the Hippocampus which is involved profoundly in our ability to form and retrieve memories. There are also links to the visual cortex that are involved and can cause problems communicating visual information.   

The aim of the project is to show through images to an audience that is not significantly face blind how it might feel to have this disorder to a significant degree. The reception of the images will be affected by the degree to which the audience itself is affected.